Went for a lovely bushwalk tonight with our Girls Brigade company. It was meant to be a nice leisurely walk, 20 mins up, 10 mins back, in time for a nice supper. Of course nothing ever goes to plan.
I was late getting to GB, so everyone pretty much was on the bus, so I waited a few minutes and jumped on the bus too. We took off to our starting destination. I had to strap my knee, it's been quite swollen and sore recently, and I knew this wouldn't be good for it. Because I didn't get time to stretch the tape out it was really stiff so I couldn't bend my knee very well.
We got to our starting point and I covered myself in Aeroguard, I knew the mozzies would be nasty. On the walk up I was in the middle of the girls, keeping pace, but they were talking to me, so I wasn't paying attention to wear we were going. It was very steep and rocky to start with, hard to walk for me and my knee. We got to the top, had a bit of a rest, mucked around, then it was time for the adventure back.
It was getting late, 7:30pm, so the torches were put on, not all the girls bought torches though. We managed to have a few injuries so we were slowed down a few times. We got to a really flat section and started to double back on ourselves, but lower down. I started thinking we were lost and I could see our leader was looking down alot.
Yep we were lost. By this time it was dark and we had no idea where we were going. Luckily we were on a fire trail, but we had no idea where it came out and how long it was. Eventually the girls started to figure out we were lost and started yelling out to us at the front. We made it out of the bush near houses, but not the house we were meant to be at. We were about 5-8kms off course, on the other side of the mountain.
One of the leaders that didn't walk with us was stressed out so badly because we were so long getting back. We got back to the house we were meant to, the bus picked us up.
Lesson 1 - Always carry water
Lesson 2 - Tell someone where you are going
Lesson 3 - Carry a phone
Lesson 4 - Pay attention to where you are going.
Well I had 3 of the 4 covered. Lesson learnt for next time.
Wednesday, March 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Ah how funny!
Benita went on an adventure.
Did you have any worried parents?
Glad you all got back safe - i bet you had more fun on the adventure then if you had followed the map.
Post a Comment