Ever wonder what life would be like if you took a different path. Where would I be if I was like someone else, would I be influenced differently, would I be me? Of course I would be me, but I wouldn't be the me I know now. I have been influenced by so many people in my little world, and my knowledge of things is somewhat extensive, though I have no idea what it is like for other people less fortunate than me.
What if I was a child bought up in poverty? Would my faith be the same, or would I have more faith? I am too fortunate, I have been brought up as a spoilt brat at times, but I still find myself wanting more.
Though it is not material things I want, more than that it is love. To be told "I love you" or to be held in a loving embrace it is more than what money can buy, it is what I feel I am missing. I am fortunate and although it's not said in words, I know I am loved. I am ready to step out in faith, out of my comfort zone. I want to do something different with my life, make a difference somehow.
Watching Oprah today and she went shopping with Bono, she bought all this red stuff. http://www.joinred.com/ Everything that was bought that was red, around 50% of the sale goes to helping pregnant women in Africa to get medication for AIDS for their children. My mum heard this and I heard her scoff. I don't inderstand why she did it. But I thought why can't I do something like this to help. Why don't they bring it to Australia? Sometimes its a helpless feeling. God gave me a gift of unselfish giving and I can't help those who really need it.
I wear a Make Poverty History band, and so many people have come up to me asking what its all about. When I tell them, they have the attitude of "It can't be done," or "what difference can you make by having a band on" If everyone has that attitude, of course it can't be done, but it takes one person to raise awareness and one person can make a difference.
Christmas is just around the corner, 3 weeks to go, what would you give up for those who don't have what we do?
I can't change the world, but I can start small, start with changing attitudes.
Monday, December 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Be - i am old enough to be your mother and i still have the same 'ponderings' as you - my favourite quote by Sr Helen Prejean's book 'dead man walking' says
I can read any book i choose,and comprehend it. I can wite a complete sentence, and punctuate it correctly. If i need help, i can call on judges, attorneyes, minsiters. I wonder what i would be like if i had grown up without such protections and support. What cracks would have turned up in my character ? how law abiding would i be ?
It always makes me remember how lucky i am to have the upbringing i have - and to be here in Aus - the "lucky country"
You can and WILL make a difference - the world needs more young women like you !!!
and just for your info - i get a lot of my christmas gifts from http://www.usefulgifts.org/viewall.php
BENITA!!! I love you!
I saw that thing on Oprah too. The thought going through my head at the time was why doesn't she donate 100% of her money and forget about the red things.
I can relate to this blog i often have a few of the same thoughts. I think you should pray about it and i'll also pray for you.
I wish i had something encouraging to say but my brain has clicked into thinking.
Posting as annoymous coz i can't be bothered to log into my account but it's me Sam. -lol-
Post a Comment